Saturday, May 25, 2013

A fourth birthday cake with pink, purple and red flowers

My daughter never forgot her dream for a fancy pink and purple cake, an idea that started while helping and watching me make a four layer Halloween cake for a service auction. So, despite the fact that we had just moved to our first-ever house and were getting ready to travel across the U.S. to visit family, I made her a three-layer cake with buttercream frosting and pink, purple and red roses on top.

Jackie chose colors of the cake's flowers. Ask Jackie her favorite color and she'll tell you, "pink, purple, red" and then she'll probably go on to add whatever other color comes to her mind. But, it always starts with pink, purple and red. Once some adult asked her the favorite color question and received a very long response, leading me to ask Jackie: "Are all the colors your favorite?." "No, not black," she said. So, there are limits. While I didn't put in as much time as I had into the service cake, she seemed excited, and enjoyed sharing it with some friends from Ann Arbor and new families we've met at our new home.





No comments:




My wedding cake

My wedding cake
My sister, Christie, made my wedding cake -- all five layers of it. It was fondant, covered in fresh red roses and green ribbon. For a more modern look she chose to make a square cake.

Trip up the canyon

Trip up the canyon
OK, here's the truth, what Renn and I really look like when we wake up. After our first backpacking trip as a couple, Renn's hair looked like grass growing on his head and mine lay flat and matted as we walked out of the mountains.

Karen and Renn in Mexico

Karen and Renn in Mexico
This is us on our last day at the Hummingbird Inn in Maneadero, Mexico. It was a fun week of service with Engineers Without Borders. Renn and other USU engineering students helped put in drain fields at an orphanage, The Gabriel House, for children with severe disabilities. I helped dig some holes and wrote an article for the newspaper about the experience.