Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Relief Society birthday

Last weekend, my church celebrated the 170th birthday of the Relief Society, our women's organization. This year we decided to have a traditional birthday party, but with a Mexican twist. We ate tacos and strawberry cake, broke a pinata full of candy and played some fun games.


As the president of the group in my branch, it kept me pretty busy planning and preparing. I made the cake (with supplies and ideas from Trisha) and the pinata (more on that later). Jane made all the food with some help from her husband and CharLee invented a game where people had to guess the word on their fancy paper headband (a name, place or concept from our church history) based on descriptions others gave without saying the actual word. It looked like everyone had fun!

Here are some of the pictures:


 


No comments:




My wedding cake

My wedding cake
My sister, Christie, made my wedding cake -- all five layers of it. It was fondant, covered in fresh red roses and green ribbon. For a more modern look she chose to make a square cake.

Trip up the canyon

Trip up the canyon
OK, here's the truth, what Renn and I really look like when we wake up. After our first backpacking trip as a couple, Renn's hair looked like grass growing on his head and mine lay flat and matted as we walked out of the mountains.

Karen and Renn in Mexico

Karen and Renn in Mexico
This is us on our last day at the Hummingbird Inn in Maneadero, Mexico. It was a fun week of service with Engineers Without Borders. Renn and other USU engineering students helped put in drain fields at an orphanage, The Gabriel House, for children with severe disabilities. I helped dig some holes and wrote an article for the newspaper about the experience.