Monday, February 6, 2012

Photo challenge: Patterns in nature

My daughters and I hiked along the frozen shores of Lake Superior as I sought material for this week's photo challenge: finding patterns in nature. It was a warm day for early February and after all the work to bundle up the babies, I felt like I'd mounted Mount Everest, or something, to actually arrive at McClain State Park, only to discover they don't plow much in the winter. We parked by the front office (the only place to park), ate Little Caesar's Pizza (an unhealthy splurge) for lunch, and then with no cars around Jackie could venture out through the snow as slowly and in whatever direction she wanted. She inspected her footprints as she slowly followed me from place to place. Without my knowledge, she had brought a bracelet with her and she enjoyed dipping it into the snow and made me look for it whenever she dropped it. Bridget slept in my Moby, while I tried to look at the clouds, ice and trees with a photographer's eye. I pointed out what I saw to Jackie and together we inspected ice crystals, fungi and natural patterns in the tree bark and gentle curves in the snow. I was hoping to get a picture of frozen waves or large chunks of cracked ice in the lake, but the water was too warm for that Friday, and wanting to stay safe with two babies I stayed far from the shoreline. I think my favorite shot is the close-up of white ice crystals, perhaps covering some type of fungi, on the tree bark. What do you think?

2 comments:

Lara Neves said...

I love the one of the two sets of footprints in the snow.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of Jackie walking in the snow. Mom




My wedding cake

My wedding cake
My sister, Christie, made my wedding cake -- all five layers of it. It was fondant, covered in fresh red roses and green ribbon. For a more modern look she chose to make a square cake.

Trip up the canyon

Trip up the canyon
OK, here's the truth, what Renn and I really look like when we wake up. After our first backpacking trip as a couple, Renn's hair looked like grass growing on his head and mine lay flat and matted as we walked out of the mountains.

Karen and Renn in Mexico

Karen and Renn in Mexico
This is us on our last day at the Hummingbird Inn in Maneadero, Mexico. It was a fun week of service with Engineers Without Borders. Renn and other USU engineering students helped put in drain fields at an orphanage, The Gabriel House, for children with severe disabilities. I helped dig some holes and wrote an article for the newspaper about the experience.